By Steven A. Riess
A spouse to American game History offers a set of unique essays that symbolize the 1st entire research of scholarship when it comes to the growing to be box of yankee game history.
- Presents the 1st entire research of the scholarship on the subject of the educational historical past of yankee sport
- Features contributions from some of the best students operating within the box of yankee activity history
- Includes insurance of the chronology of activities from colonial instances to the current day, together with significant activities akin to baseball, soccer, basketball, boxing, golfing, motor racing, tennis, and music and box
- Addresses the connection of activities to urbanization, expertise, gender, race, social category, and genres equivalent to activities biography
Awarded 2015 top Anthology from the North American Society for recreation historical past (NASSH)
Read Online or Download A Companion to American Sport History (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) PDF
Best history of sports books
Regardless of their impression in our tradition, activities encourage dramatically much less philosophical attention than such ostensibly weightier themes as faith, politics, or technological know-how. Arguing that athletic playfulness coexists with severe underpinnings, and that either call for extra important recognition, Daniel Dombrowski harnesses the insights of old Greek thinkers to light up modern athletics.
In 2010 allegations of an totally corrupt educational method for student-athletes emerged from the collage of North Carolina at Chapel Hill campus, domestic of the mythical Tar Heels. because the alma mater of Michael Jordan, Larry Brown, Marion Jones, Lawrence Taylor, Rashad McCants, and so on; winner of 40 nationwide championships in six varied activities; and a companion in a single of the easiest rivalries in activities, UNC–Chapel Hill is a world-famous colossus of faculty athletics.
An in-depth research of the intricate relationships between recreation, culture, politics, identification and local cooperation in South AsiaIn South Asia, recreation has lengthy been a site—albeit neglected via social scientists—which articulates the complexities and diversities of the typical lifetime of the international locations. This ebook highlights the significance of activity in colonial and postcolonial instances in India and South Asia as an important cultural event, a political software, a social software and a advertisement strength.
At a time while biking within the usa rivaled baseball because the nation’s most well-liked specialist recreation, alongside got here Reggie McNamara, a farmer’s son from Australia. inside of a month of his arrival within the usa in 1913, he had earned the moniker “Iron guy” for his excessive tolerance of ache and his extraordinary skill to get over possible catastrophic damage.
- Anetso, the Cherokee Ball Game: At the Center of Ceremony and Identity (First Peoples New Directions in Indigenous Studies)
- The School of Fencing
- Sport Fishing in Palm Beach County (Images of America)
- She's a Knockout!: A History of Women in Fighting Sports
- American Work-Sports: A History of Competitions for Cornhuskers, Lumberjacks, Firemen and Others
- The Olympic Games Explained: A Student Guide to the Evolution of the Modern Olympic Games (Student Sport Studies)
Additional info for A Companion to American Sport History (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History)
A Companion to American Sport History (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) by Steven A. Riess