By Paul Christesen,Donald G. Kyle
A better half to game and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity offers a sequence of essays that observe a socio-historical standpoint to myriad features of old recreation and spectacle.
- Covers the Bronze Age to the Byzantine Empire
- Includes contributions from a number overseas students with numerous Classical antiquity specialties
- Goes past the standard concentrations on Olympia and Rome to ascertain game in towns and territories in the course of the Mediterranean basin
- Features numerous illustrations, maps, end-of-chapter references, inner cross-referencing, and a close index to extend accessibility and help researchers
Read Online or Download A Companion to Sport and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best history of sports books
Regardless of their impact in our tradition, activities encourage dramatically much less philosophical attention than such ostensibly weightier subject matters as faith, politics, or technological know-how. Arguing that athletic playfulness coexists with severe underpinnings, and that either call for extra important cognizance, Daniel Dombrowski harnesses the insights of historic Greek thinkers to light up modern athletics.
In 2010 allegations of an completely corrupt educational method for student-athletes emerged from the college of North Carolina at Chapel Hill campus, domestic of the mythical Tar Heels. because the alma mater of Michael Jordan, Larry Brown, Marion Jones, Lawrence Taylor, Rashad McCants, and so on; winner of 40 nationwide championships in six diversified activities; and a associate in a single of the easiest rivalries in activities, UNC–Chapel Hill is a world-famous colossus of school athletics.
An in-depth research of the intricate relationships between game, culture, politics, id and local cooperation in South AsiaIn South Asia, activity has lengthy been a site—albeit missed via social scientists—which articulates the complexities and diversities of the typical lifetime of the international locations. This e-book highlights the significance of recreation in colonial and postcolonial occasions in India and South Asia as a necessary cultural adventure, a political instrument, a social device and a advertisement strength.
At a time whilst biking within the usa rivaled baseball because the nation’s preferred expert activity, alongside got here Reggie McNamara, a farmer’s son from Australia. inside of a month of his arrival within the usa in 1913, he had earned the moniker “Iron guy” for his excessive tolerance of soreness and his notable skill to get over doubtless catastrophic damage.
- Tales from the Philadelphia 76ers Locker Room: A Collection of the Greatest Sixers Stories from the 1982-83 Championship Season (Tales from the Team)
- Lords of the Rinks: The Emergence of the National Hockey League, 1875-1936 (Heritage)
- England Rugby Chronicle since 1969: Second Edition (1969-1990)
- Crazyball: Sports Scandals, Superstitions, and Sick Plays
- Leisure and Recreation in a Victorian Mining Community: The Social Economy of Leisure in North-East England, 1820 – 1914 (Sport in the Global Society)
- The Anthropology of Sport: An Introduction (A Revised Edition)
Extra info for A Companion to Sport and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Sport and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Paul Christesen,Donald G. Kyle